Tuesday 2 August 2011

Tip of the week - freezing

I love my freezer. A freezer is your best friend. I wish mine were bigger, there are so many more things I could pack into my freezer, but currently mine is the size of a shoe box.

It has come to my attention that some people are unaware of the beauty of their freezer, and just what it can do for you. Your freezer can save you so much time, and can also save you money by preventing food from spoiling.

Bananas freeze well. If they are too far past it for you to eat, pop them in the freezer until next time you want to make a cake or muffins. Once defrosted (and they defrost really quickly), they are super easy to mash and add to your mixture.

Herbs also freeze well. I currently have little plastic containers of parsley, mint and coriander in my freezer, and I toss them straight into whatever I am cooking.

I have also done the same with ginger. Unpeeled ginger root can be stored in the freezer. Once taken out it defrosts quickly for easy use.

On a more random note, your freezer can save you a ton of time when it comes to weekday lunches. Now, credit where credit is due - I didn't come up with this this idea - full credit must go to a friend. But, it's a great idea and it is so super easy, so I'm going to share it with you. This great idea? Toasted sandwiches! You just prepare what you want on your sandwich - cheese, ham, pineapple etc and pop it in a snaplock sandwich and into the freezer. Take it out in the morning before work and it will be ready to put in the toasted sandwich maker at lunchtime.

Take advantage of your freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment